Definition and Meanings for so
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
So is ranked 20,667 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of so
adverb, conjunction, interjection
Etymology of so
Meaning of so
- in that manner or degree; as, indicated (in any way), or as implied, or as supposed to be known.
- in like manner or degree; in the same way; thus; for like reason; whith equal reason; -- used correlatively, following as, to denote comparison or resemblance; sometimes, also, following inasmuch as.
- in such manner; to such degree; -- used correlatively with as or that following; as, he was so fortunate as to escape.
- very; in a high degree; that is, in such a degree as can not well be expressed; as, he is so good; he planned so wisely.
- in the same manner; as has been stated or suggested; in this or that condition or state; under these circumstances; in this way; -- with reflex reference to something just asserted or implied; used also with the verb to be, as a predicate.
- the case being such; therefore; on this account; for this reason; on these terms; -- used both as an adverb and a conjuction.
- it is well; let it be as it is, or let it come to pass; -- used to express assent.
- well; the fact being as stated; -- used as an expletive; as, so the work is done, is it?
- is it thus? do you mean what you say? -- with an upward tone; as, do you say he refuses? so?
- about the number, time, or quantity specified; thereabouts; more or less; as, i will spend a week or so in the country; i have read only a page or so.
- provided that; on condition that; in case that; if.
- be as you are; stand still; stop; that will do; right as you are; -- a word used esp. to cows; also used by sailors.