Definition and Meanings for abuse
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Abuse is ranked 3,770 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of abuse
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
Etymology of abuse
Meaning of abuse
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to put to a wrong use; to misapply; to misuse; to put to a bad use; to use for a wrong purpose or end; to pervert; as, to abuse inherited gold; to make an excessive use of; as, to abuse one's authority.
- to use ill; to maltreat; to act injuriously to; to punish or to tax excessively; to hurt; as, to abuse prisoners, to abuse one's powers, one's patience.
- to revile; to reproach coarsely; to disparage.
- to dishonor.
- to violate; to ravish.
- to deceive; to impose on.
as noun, transitive verb
- improper treatment or use; application to a wrong or bad purpose; misuse; as, an abuse of our natural powers; an abuse of civil rights, or of privileges or advantages; an abuse of language.
- physical ill treatment; injury.
- a corrupt practice or custom; offense; crime; fault; as, the abuses in the civil service.
- vituperative words; coarse, insulting speech; abusive language; virulent condemnation; reviling.
- violation; rape; as, abuse of a female child.