Definition and Meanings for accent
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Accent is ranked 14,579 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of accent
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of accent
Meaning of accent
- a superior force of voice or of articulative effort upon some particular syllable of a word or a phrase, distinguishing it from the others.
- a mark or character used in writing, and serving to regulate the pronunciation; esp.: (a) a mark to indicate the nature and place of the spoken accent; (b) a mark to indicate the quality of sound of the vowel marked; as, the french accents.
- modulation of the voice in speaking; manner of speaking or pronouncing; peculiar or characteristic modification of the voice; tone; as, a foreign accent; a french or a german accent.
- a word; a significant tone;expressions in general; speech.
- stress laid on certain syllables of a verse.
- a regularly recurring stress upon the tone to mark the beginning, and, more feebly, the third part of the measure.;a special emphasis of a tone, even in the weaker part of the measure.;the rhythmical accent, which marks phrases and sections of a period.;the expressive emphasis and shading of a passage.
- a mark placed at the right hand of a letter, and a little above it, to distinguish magnitudes of a similar kind expressed by the same letter, but differing in value, as yas, 12i. e., twelve minutes twenty seven seconds.;a mark used to denote feet and inches; as, 6.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to express the accent of (either by the voice or by a mark); to utter or to mark with accent.
- to mark emphatically; to emphasize.