Definition and Meanings for advance
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Advance is ranked 24,681 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of advance
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun, verb, adjective
Etymology of advance
Meaning of advance
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to bring forward; to move towards the van or front; to make to go on.
- to raise; to elevate.
- to raise to a higher rank; to promote.
- to accelerate the growth or progress; to further; to forward; to help on; to aid; to heighten; as, to advance the ripening of fruit; to advance one's interests.
- to bring to view or notice; to offer or propose; to show; as, to advance an argument.
- to make earlier, as an event or date; to hasten.
- to furnish, as money or other value, before it becomes due, or in aid of an enterprise; to supply beforehand; as, a merchant advances money on a contract or on goods consigned to him.
- to raise to a higher point; to enhance; to raise in rate; as, to advance the price of goods.
- to extol; to laud.
as intransitive verb
- to move or go forward; to proceed; as, he advanced to greet me.
- to increase or make progress in any respect; as, to advance in knowledge, in stature, in years, in price.
- to rise in rank, office, or consequence; to be preferred or promoted.
as noun, verb
- the act of advancing or moving forward or upward; progress.
- improvement or progression, physically, mentally, morally, or socially; as, an advance in health, knowledge, or religion; an advance in rank or office.
- an addition to the price; rise in price or value; as, an advance on the prime cost of goods.
- the first step towards the attainment of a result; approach made to gain favor, to form an acquaintance, to adjust a difference, etc.; an overture; a tender; an offer; -- usually in the plural.
- a furnishing of something before an equivalent is received (as money or goods), towards a capital or stock, or on loan; payment beforehand; the money or goods thus furnished; money or value supplied beforehand.
- before in place, or beforehand in time; -- used for advanced; as, an advance guard, or that before the main guard or body of an army; advance payment, or that made before it is due; advance proofs, advance sheets, pages of a forthcoming volume, received in advance of the time of publication.