Definition and Meanings for affections
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Affections is ranked 0 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of affections
Etymology of affections
Meaning of affections
- the act of affecting or acting upon; the state of being affected.
- an attribute, especially a contingent or alterable quality or property; a condition; a bodily state; as, figure, weight, etc. , are affections of bodies.
- bent of mind; a feeling or natural impulse or natural impulse acting upon and swaying the mind; any emotion; as, the benevolent affections, esteem, gratitude, etc.; the malevolent affections, hatred, envy, etc.; inclination; disposition; propensity; tendency.
- a settled good will; kind feeling; love; zealous or tender attachment; -- often in the pl. formerly followed by to, but now more generally by for or towards; as, filial, social, or conjugal affections; to have an affection for or towards children.
- prejudice; bias.
- disease; morbid symptom; malady; as, a pulmonary affection.
- the lively representation of any emotion.
- passion; violent emotion.