Definition and Meanings for apprehend
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Apprehend is ranked 11,933 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of apprehend
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of apprehend
Meaning of apprehend
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to take or seize; to take hold of.
- hence: to take or seize (a person) by legal process; to arrest; as, to apprehend a criminal.
- to take hold of with the understanding, that is, to conceive in the mind; to become cognizant of; to understand; to recognize; to consider.
- to know or learn with certainty.
- to anticipate; esp., to anticipate with anxiety, dread, or fear; to fear.
as intransitive verb
- to think, believe, or be of opinion; to understand; to suppose.
- to be apprehensive; to fear.