Definition and Meanings for argue
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Argue is ranked 778 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of argue
intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb
Etymology of argue
Meaning of argue
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to invent and offer reasons to support or overthrow a proposition, opinion, or measure; to use arguments; to reason.
- to contend in argument; to dispute; to reason; -- followed by with; as, you may argue with your friend without convincing him.
as transitive verb
- to debate or discuss; to treat by reasoning; as, the counsel argued the cause before a full court; the cause was well argued.
- to prove or evince; too manifest or exhibit by inference, deduction, or reasoning.
- to persuade by reasons; as, to argue a man into a different opinion.
- to blame; to accuse; to charge with.