Definition and Meanings for array
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Array is ranked 16,128 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of array
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of array
Meaning of array
- order; a regular and imposing arrangement; disposition in regular lines; hence, order of battle; as, drawn up in battle array.
- the whole body of persons thus placed in order; an orderly collection; hence, a body of soldiers.
- an imposing series of things.
- dress; garments disposed in order upon the person; rich or beautiful apparel.
- a ranking or setting forth in order, by the proper officer, of a jury as impaneled in a cause.;the panel itself.;the whole body of jurors summoned to attend the court.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to place or dispose in order, as troops for battle; to marshal.
- to deck or dress; to adorn with dress; to cloth to envelop; -- applied esp. to dress of a splendid kind.
- to set in order, as a jury, for the trial of a cause; that is, to call them man by man.