Definition and Meanings for assign
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Assign is ranked 2,627 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of assign
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun, verb
Etymology of assign
Meaning of assign
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to appoint; to allot; to apportion; to make over.
- to fix, specify, select, or designate; to point out authoritatively or exactly; as, to assign a limit; to assign counsel for a prisoner; to assign a day for trial.
- to transfer, or make over to another, esp. to transfer to, and vest in, certain persons, called assignees, for the benefit of creditors.
as intransitive verb
- to transfer or pass over property to another, whether for the benefit of the assignee or of the assignor's creditors, or in furtherance of some trust.
as noun, verb
- a thing pertaining or belonging to something else; an appurtenance.
- a person to whom property or an interest is transferred; as, a deed to a man and his heirs and assigns.