Definition and Meanings for author
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Author is ranked 13,358 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of author
noun, transitive verb
Etymology of author
Meaning of author
as noun, noun
- the beginner, former, or first mover of anything; hence, the efficient cause of a thing; a creator; an originator.
- one who composes or writes a book; a composer, as distinguished from an editor, translator, or compiler.
- the editor of a periodical.
- an informant.
as transitive verb
- to occasion; to originate.
- to tell; to say; to declare.