Definition and Meanings for awful
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Awful is ranked 15,236 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of awful
Etymology of awful
Meaning of awful
- oppressing with fear or horror; appalling; terrible; as, an awful scene.
- inspiring awe; filling with profound reverence, or with fear and admiration; fitted to inspire reverential fear; profoundly impressive.
- struck or filled with awe; terror-stricken.
- worshipful; reverential; law-abiding.
- frightful; exceedingly bad; great; -- applied intensively; as, an awful bonnet; an awful boaster.