Definition and Meanings for bed
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Bed is ranked 19,442 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of bed
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of bed
Meaning of bed
- an article of furniture to sleep or take rest in or on; a couch. specifically: a sack or mattress, filled with some soft material, in distinction from the bedstead on which it is placed (as, a feather bed), or this with the bedclothes added. in a general sense, any thing or place used for sleeping or reclining on or in, as a quantity of hay, straw, leaves, or twigs.
- (used as the symbol of matrimony) marriage.
- a plat or level piece of ground in a garden, usually a little raised above the adjoining ground.
- a mass or heap of anything arranged like a bed; as, a bed of ashes or coals.
- the bottom of a watercourse, or of any body of water; as, the bed of a river.
- a layer or seam, or a horizontal stratum between layers; as, a bed of coal, iron, etc.
- see gun carriage, and mortar bed.
- the horizontal surface of a building stone; as, the upper and lower beds.;a course of stone or brick in a wall.;the place or material in which a block or brick is laid.;the lower surface of a brick, slate, or tile.
- the foundation or the more solid and fixed part or framing of a machine; or a part on which something is laid or supported; as, the bed of an engine.
- the superficial earthwork, or ballast, of a railroad.
- the flat part of the press, on which the form is laid.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to place in a bed.
- to make partaker of one's bed; to cohabit with.
- to furnish with a bed or bedding.
- to plant or arrange in beds; to set, or cover, as in a bed of soft earth; as, to bed the roots of a plant in mold.
- to lay or put in any hollow place, or place of rest and security, surrounded or inclosed; to embed; to furnish with or place upon a bed or foundation; as, to bed a stone; it was bedded on a rock.
- to dress or prepare the surface of stone) so as to serve as a bed.
- to lay flat; to lay in order; to place in a horizontal or recumbent position.
as intransitive verb
- to go to bed; to cohabit.