Definition and Meanings for benefit
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Benefit is ranked 2,247 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of benefit
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of benefit
Meaning of benefit
- an act of kindness; a favor conferred.
- whatever promotes prosperity and personal happiness, or adds value to property; advantage; profit.
- a theatrical performance, a concert, or the like, the proceeds of which do not go to the lessee of the theater or to the company, but to some individual actor, or to some charitable use.
- beneficence; liberality.
- natural advantages; endowments; accomplishments.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to be beneficial to; to do good to; to advantage; to advance in health or prosperity; to be useful to; to profit.
as intransitive verb
- to gain advantage; to make improvement; to profit; as, he will benefit by the change.