Definition and Meanings for bird
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Bird is ranked 1,123 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of bird
noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of bird
Meaning of bird
- orig., a chicken; the young of a fowl; a young eaglet; a nestling; and hence, a feathered flying animal (see 2).
- a warm-blooded, feathered vertebrate provided with wings. see aves.
- specifically, among sportsmen, a game bird.
- fig.: a girl; a maiden.
as intransitive verb
- to catch or shoot birds.
- hence: to seek for game or plunder; to thieve.
- to watch birds, especially in their natural habitats, for enjoyment; to birdwatch.