Definition and Meanings for bonnet
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Bonnet is ranked 15,718 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of bonnet
noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of bonnet
Meaning of bonnet
- a headdress for men and boys; a cap.
- a soft, elastic, very durable cap, made of thick, seamless woolen stuff, and worn by men in scotland.
- a covering for the head, worn by women, usually protecting more or less the back and sides of the head, but no part of the forehead. the shape of the bonnet varies greatly at different times; formerly the front part projected, and spread outward, like the mouth of a funnel.
- anything resembling a bonnet in shape or use;a small defense work at a salient angle; or a part of a parapet elevated to screen the other part from enfilade fire.;a metallic canopy, or projection, over an opening, as a fireplace, or a cowl or hood to increase the draught of a chimney, etc.;a frame of wire netting over a locomotive chimney, to prevent escape of sparks.;a roofing over the cage of a mine, to protect its occupants from objects falling down the shaft.;in pumps, a metal covering for the openings in the valve chambers.
- an additional piece of canvas laced to the foot of a jib or foresail in moderate winds.
- the second stomach of a ruminating animal.
- an accomplice of a gambler, auctioneer, etc., who entices others to bet or to bid; a decoy.
- the metal cover or shield over the motor; predominantly british usage. in the u.s. it is called the hood.
as intransitive verb
- to take off the bonnet or cap as a mark of respect; to uncover.