Definition and Meanings for brine
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Brine is ranked 37,852 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of brine
noun, transitive verb
Etymology of brine
Meaning of brine
- water saturated or strongly impregnated with salt; pickle; hence, any strong saline solution; also, the saline residue or strong mother liquor resulting from the evaporation of natural or artificial waters.
- the ocean; the water of an ocean, sea, or salt lake.
- tears; -- so called from their saltness.
as transitive verb
- to steep or saturate in brine.
- to sprinkle with salt or brine; as, to brine hay.