Definition and Meanings for capitals
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Capitals is ranked 16,636 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of capitals
Etymology of capitals
Meaning of capitals
as adjective, noun
- of or pertaining to the head.
- having reference to, or involving, the forfeiture of the head or life; affecting life; punishable with death; as, capital trials; capital punishment.
- first in importance; chief; principal.
- chief, in a political sense, as being the seat of the general government of a state or nation; as, washington and paris are capital cities.
- of first rate quality; excellent; as, a capital speech or song.
- the head or uppermost member of a column, pilaster, etc. it consists generally of three parts, abacus, bell (or vase), and necking. see these terms, and column.
- the seat of government; the chief city or town in a country; a metropolis.
- money, property, or stock employed in trade, manufactures, etc.; the sum invested or lent, as distinguished from the income or interest. see capital stock, under capital, a.
- that portion of the produce of industry, which may be directly employed either to support human beings or to assist in production.
- anything which can be used to increase one's power or influence.
- an imaginary line dividing a bastion, ravelin, or other work, into two equal parts.
- a chapter, or section, of a book.
- see capital letter, under capital, a.