Definition and Meanings for chafes
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Chafes is ranked 49,032 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of chafes
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun
Etymology of chafes
Meaning of chafes
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, verbal noun
- to excite heat in by friction; to rub in order to stimulate and make warm.
- to excite passion or anger in; to fret; to irritate.
- to fret and wear by rubbing; as, to chafe a cable.
as intransitive verb
- to rub; to come together so as to wear by rubbing; to wear by friction.
- to be worn by rubbing; as, a cable chafes.
- to have a feeling of vexation; to be vexed; to fret; to be irritated.
- heat excited by friction.
- injury or wear caused by friction.
- vexation; irritation of mind; rage.