Definition and Meanings for chaffed
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Chaffed is ranked 43,115 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of chaffed
noun, intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb
Etymology of chaffed
Meaning of chaffed
- the glumes or husks of grains and grasses separated from the seed by threshing and winnowing, etc.
- anything of a comparatively light and worthless character; the refuse part of anything.
- straw or hay cut up fine for the food of cattle.
- light jesting talk; banter; raillery.
- the scales or bracts on the receptacle, which subtend each flower in the heads of many composit, as the sunflower.
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to use light, idle language by way of fun or ridicule; to banter.
as transitive verb
- to make fun of; to turn into ridicule by addressing in ironical or bantering language; to quiz.