Definition and Meanings for cleft
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Cleft is ranked 25,175 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of cleft
imperfect, past participle, adjective, noun
Etymology of cleft
Meaning of cleft
as imperfect, past participle
- imp. & p. p. from cleave.
- divided; split; partly divided or split.
- incised nearly to the midrib; as, a cleft leaf.
- a space or opening made by splitting; a crack; a crevice; as, the cleft of a rock.
- a piece made by splitting; as, a cleft of wood.
- a disease in horses; a crack on the band of the pastern.