Definition and Meanings for combine
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Combine is ranked 20,987 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of combine
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, adjective
Etymology of combine
Meaning of combine
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to unite or join; to link closely together; to bring into harmonious union; to cause or unite so as to form a homogeneous substance, as by chemical union.
- to bind; to hold by a moral tie.
as intransitive verb
- to form a union; to agree; to coalesce; to confederate.
- to unite by affinity or natural attraction; as, two substances, which will not combine of themselves, may be made to combine by the intervention of a third.
- in the game of casino, to play a card which will take two or more cards whose aggregate number of pips equals those of the card played.