Definition and Meanings for commutation
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Commutation is ranked 34,679 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of commutation
Etymology of commutation
Meaning of commutation
- a passing from one state to another; change; alteration; mutation.
- the act of giving one thing for another; barter; exchange.
- the change of a penalty or punishment by the pardoning power of the state; as, the commutation of a sentence of death to banishment or imprisonment.
- a substitution, as of a less thing for a greater, esp. a substitution of one form of payment for another, or one payment for many, or a specific sum of money for conditional payments or allowances; as, commutation of tithes; commutation of fares; commutation of copyright; commutation of rations.
- regular travel from a place of residence to a place where one's daily work is performed; commuting. most often, such travel is performed between a suburb and a nearby city.