Definition and Meanings for company
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Company is ranked 189 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of company
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of company
Meaning of company
- the state of being a companion or companions; the act of accompanying; fellowship; companionship; society; friendly intercourse.
- a companion or companions.
- an assemblage or association of persons, either permanent or transient.
- guests or visitors, in distinction from the members of a family; as, to invite company to dine.
- society, in general; people assembled for social intercourse.
- an association of persons for the purpose of carrying on some enterprise or business; a corporation; a firm; as, the east india company; an insurance company; a joint-stock company.
- partners in a firm whose names are not mentioned in its style or title; -- often abbreviated in writing; as, hottinguer & co.
- a subdivision of a regiment of troops under the command of a captain, numbering in the united states (full strength) 100 men.
- the crew of a ship, including the officers; as, a whole ship's company.
- the body of actors employed in a theater or in the production of a play.
as transitive verb
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to accompany or go with; to be companion to.
as intransitive verb
- to associate.
- to be a gay companion.
- to have sexual commerce.