Definition and Meanings for connect
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Connect is ranked 1,641 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of connect
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of connect
Meaning of connect
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to join, or fasten together, as by something intervening; to associate; to combine; to unite or link together; to establish a bond or relation between.
- to associate (a person or thing, or one's self) with another person, thing, business, or affair.
- to establish a communication link; -- used with with; as, his telephone didn't answer, so i connected with him by email.
- to electronically or mechanically link (a device) to another device, or to link a device to a common communication line; -- used with with; as, the installer connected our telephones on monday; i connected my vcr to the tv set by myself; the plumber connected a shut-off valve to my gas line.
as intransitive verb
- to join, unite, or cohere; to have a close relation; as, one line of railroad connects with another; one argument connects with another.