Definition and Meanings for constrain
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Constrain is ranked 7,877 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of constrain
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of constrain
Meaning of constrain
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to secure by bonds; to chain; to bond or confine; to hold tightly; to constringe.
- to bring into a narrow compass; to compress.
- to hold back by force; to restrain; to repress.
- to compel; to force; to necessitate; to oblige.
- to violate; to ravish.
- to produce in such a manner as to give an unnatural effect; as, a constrained voice.