Definition and Meanings for contrary
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Contrary is ranked 14,896 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of contrary
adjective, noun, transitive verb
Etymology of contrary
Meaning of contrary
- opposite; in an opposite direction; in opposition; adverse; as, contrary winds.
- opposed; contradictory; repugnant; inconsistent.
- given to opposition; perverse; forward; wayward; as, a contrary disposition; a contrary child.
- affirming the opposite; so opposed as to destroy each other; as, contrary propositions.
- a thing that is of contrary or opposite qualities.
- an opponent; an enemy.
- the opposite; a proposition, fact, or condition incompatible with another; as, slender proofs which rather show the contrary. see converse, n., 1.
- see contraries.
as transitive verb, adjective
- to contradict or oppose; to thwart.