Definition and Meanings for convention
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Convention is ranked 2,488 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of convention
noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of convention
Meaning of convention
as noun, intransitive verb
- the act of coming together; the state of being together; union; coalition.
- general agreement or concurrence; arbitrary custom; usage; conventionality.
- a meeting or an assembly of persons, esp. of delegates or representatives, to accomplish some specific object, -- civil, social, political, or ecclesiastical.
- an extraordinary assembly of the parkiament or estates of the realm, held without the king's writ, -- as the assembly which restored charles ii. to the throne, and that which declared the throne to be abdicated by james ii.
- an agreement or contract less formal than, or preliminary to, a treaty; an informal compact, as between commanders of armies in respect to suspension of hostilities, or between states; also, a formal agreement between governments or sovereign powers; as, a postal convention between two governments.