Definition and Meanings for couple
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Couple is ranked 5,382 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of couple
noun, adjective, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, verb, intransitive verb
Etymology of couple
Meaning of couple
as noun, adjective
- that which joins or links two things together; a bond or tie; a coupler.
- two of the same kind connected or considered together; a pair; a brace.
- a male and female associated together; esp., a man and woman who are married or betrothed.
- see couple-close.
- one of the pairs of plates of two metals which compose a voltaic battery; -- called a voltaic couple or galvanic couple.
- two rotations, movements, etc., which are equal in amount but opposite in direction, and acting along parallel lines or around parallel axes.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun, verb
- to link or tie, as one thing to another; to connect or fasten together; to join.
- to join in wedlock; to marry.
as intransitive verb
- to come together as male and female; to copulate.