Definition and Meanings for cultivate
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Cultivate is ranked 5,639 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of cultivate
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of cultivate
Meaning of cultivate
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to bestow attention, care, and labor upon, with a view to valuable returns; to till; to fertilize; as, to cultivate soil.
- to direct special attention to; to devote time and thought to; to foster; to cherish.
- to seek the society of; to court intimacy with.
- to improve by labor, care, or study; to impart culture to; to civilize; to refine.
- to raise or produce by tillage; to care for while growing; as, to cultivate corn or grass.