Definition and Meanings for delicate
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Delicate is ranked 3,817 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of delicate
Etymology of delicate
Meaning of delicate
- addicted to pleasure; luxurious; voluptuous; alluring.
- pleasing to the senses; refinedly agreeable; hence, adapted to please a nice or cultivated taste; nice; fine; elegant; as, a delicate dish; delicate flavor.
- slight and shapely; lovely; graceful; as, delicate creature.
- fine or slender; minute; not coarse; -- said of a thread, or the like; as, delicate cotton.
- slight or smooth; light and yielding; -- said of texture; as, delicate lace or silk.
- soft and fair; -- said of the skin or a surface; as, a delicate cheek; a delicate complexion.
- light, or softly tinted; -- said of a color; as, a delicate blue.
- refined; gentle; scrupulous not to trespass or offend; considerate; -- said of manners, conduct, or feelings; as, delicate behavior; delicate attentions; delicate thoughtfulness.
- tender; not able to endure hardship; feeble; frail; effeminate; -- said of constitution, health, etc.; as, a delicate child; delicate health.
- requiring careful handling; not to be rudely or hastily dealt with; nice; critical; as, a delicate subject or question.
- of exacting tastes and habits; dainty; fastidious.
- nicely discriminating or perceptive; refinedly critical; sensitive; exquisite; as, a delicate taste; a delicate ear for music.
- affected by slight causes; showing slight changes; as, a delicate thermometer.
- a choice dainty; a delicacy.
- a delicate, luxurious, or effeminate person.