Definition and Meanings for descent
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Descent is ranked 5,516 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of descent
Etymology of descent
Meaning of descent
- the act of descending, or passing downward; change of place from higher to lower.
- incursion; sudden attack; especially, hostile invasion from sea; -- often followed by upon or on; as, to make a descent upon the enemy.
- progress downward, as in station, virtue, as in station, virtue, and the like, from a higher to a lower state, from a higher to a lower state, from the more to the less important, from the better to the worse, etc.
- derivation, as from an ancestor; procedure by generation; lineage; birth; extraction.
- transmission of an estate by inheritance, usually, but not necessarily, in the descending line; title to inherit an estate by reason of consanguinity.
- inclination downward; a descending way; inclined or sloping surface; declivity; slope; as, a steep descent.
- that which is descended; descendants; issue.
- a step or remove downward in any scale of gradation; a degree in the scale of genealogy; a generation.
- lowest place; extreme downward place.
- a passing from a higher to a lower tone.