Definition and Meanings for diminish
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Diminish is ranked 3,989 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of diminish
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of diminish
Meaning of diminish
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to make smaller in any manner; to reduce in bulk or amount; to lessen; -- opposed to augment or increase.
- to lessen the authority or dignity of; to put down; to degrade; to abase; to weaken.
- to make smaller by a half step; to make (an interval) less than minor; as, a diminished seventh.
- to take away; to subtract.
as intransitive verb
- to become or appear less or smaller; to lessen; as, the apparent size of an object diminishes as we recede from it.