Definition and Meanings for direction
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Direction is ranked 929 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of direction
Etymology of direction
Meaning of direction
- the act of directing, of aiming, regulating, guiding, or ordering; guidance; management; superintendence; administration; as, the direction o.
- that which is imposed by directing; a guiding or authoritative instruction; prescription; order; command; as, he grave directions to the servants.
- the name and residence of a person to whom any thing is sent, written upon the thing sent; superscription; address; as, the direction of a letter.
- the line or course upon which anything is moving or aimed to move, or in which anything is lying or pointing; aim; line or point of tendency; direct line or course; as, the ship sailed in a southeasterly direction.
- the body of managers of a corporation or enterprise; board of directors.
- the pointing of a piece with reference to an imaginary vertical axis; -- distinguished from elevation. the direction is given when the plane of sight passes through the object.