Definition and Meanings for dispute
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Dispute is ranked 7,993 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of dispute
intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb, noun
Etymology of dispute
Meaning of dispute
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to contend in argument; to argue against something maintained, upheld, or claimed, by another; to discuss; to reason; to debate; to altercate; to wrangle.
as transitive verb
- to make a subject of disputation; to argue pro and con; to discuss.
- to oppose by argument or assertion; to attempt to overthrow; to controvert; to express dissent or opposition to; to call in question; to deny the truth or validity of; as, to dispute assertions or arguments.
- to strive or contend about; to contest.
- to struggle against; to resist.
as noun, intransitive verb
- verbal controversy; contest by opposing argument or expression of opposing views or claims; controversial discussion; altercation; debate.
- contest; struggle; quarrel.