Definition and Meanings for dissolves
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Dissolves is ranked 4,333 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of dissolves
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of dissolves
Meaning of dissolves
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to separate into competent parts; to disorganize; to break up; hence, to bring to an end by separating the parts, sundering a relation, etc.; to terminate; to destroy; to deprive of force; as, to dissolve a partnership; to dissolve parliament.
- to break the continuity of; to disconnect; to disunite; to sunder; to loosen; to undo; to separate.
- to convert into a liquid by means of heat, moisture, etc.,; to melt; to liquefy; to soften.
- to solve; to clear up; to resolve.
- to relax by pleasure; to make powerless.
- to annul; to rescind; to discharge or release; as, to dissolve an injunction.
as intransitive verb
- to waste away; to be dissipated; to be decomposed or broken up.
- to become fluid; to be melted; to be liquefied.
- to fade away; to fall to nothing; to lose power.