Definition and Meanings for district
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
District is ranked 1,270 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of district
adjective, noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
Etymology of district
Meaning of district
- rigorous; stringent; harsh.
- the territory within which the lord has the power of coercing and punishing.
- a division of territory; a defined portion of a state, town, or city, etc., made for administrative, electoral, or other purposes; as, a congressional district, judicial district, land district, school district, etc.
- any portion of territory of undefined extent; a region; a country; a tract.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to divide into districts or limited portions of territory; as, legislatures district states for the choice of representatives.