Definition and Meanings for enlarge
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Enlarge is ranked 7,659 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of enlarge
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of enlarge
Meaning of enlarge
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to make larger; to increase in quantity or dimensions; to extend in limits; to magnify; as, the body is enlarged by nutrition; to enlarge one's house.
- to increase the capacity of; to expand; to give free scope or greater scope to; also, to dilate, as with joy, affection, and the like; as, knowledge enlarges the mind.
- to set at large or set free.
as intransitive verb
- to grow large or larger; to be further extended; to expand; as, a plant enlarges by growth; an estate enlarges by good management; a volume of air enlarges by rarefaction.
- to speak or write at length; to be diffuse in speaking or writing; to expatiate; to dilate.
- to get more astern or parallel with the vessel's course; to draw aft; -- said of the wind.