Definition and Meanings for enlist
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Enlist is ranked 5,312 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of enlist
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of enlist
Meaning of enlist
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to enter on a list; to enroll; to register.
- to engage for military or naval service, the name being entered on a list or register; as, to enlist men.
- to secure the support and aid of; to employ in advancing interest; as, to enlist persons in the cause of truth, or in a charitable enterprise.
as intransitive verb
- to enroll and bind one's self for military or naval service; as, he enlisted in the regular army; the men enlisted for the war.
- to enter heartily into a cause, as if enrolled.