Definition and Meanings for ensign
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Ensign is ranked 34,540 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of ensign
noun, transitive verb
Etymology of ensign
Meaning of ensign
- a flag; a banner; a standard; esp., the national flag, or a banner indicating nationality, carried by a ship or a body of soldiers; -- as distinguished from flags indicating divisions of the army, rank of naval officers, or private signals, and the like.
- a signal displayed like a standard, to give notice.
- sign; badge of office, rank, or power; symbol.
- formerly, a commissioned officer of the army who carried the ensign or flag of a company or regiment.;a commissioned officer of the lowest grade in the navy, corresponding to the grade of second lieutenant in the army.
as transitive verb
- to designate as by an ensign.
- to distinguish by a mark or ornament; esp. (her.), by a crown; thus, any charge which has a crown immediately above or upon it, is said to be ensigned.