Definition and Meanings for essential
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Essential is ranked 12,173 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of essential
Etymology of essential
Meaning of essential
- belonging to the essence, or that which makes an object, or class of objects, what it is.
- hence, really existing; existent.
- important in the highest degree; indispensable to the attainment of an object; indispensably necessary.
- containing the essence or characteristic portion of a substance, as of a plant; highly rectified; pure; hence, unmixed; as, an essential oil.
- necessary; indispensable; -- said of those tones which constitute a chord, in distinction from ornamental or passing tones.
- idiopathic; independent of other diseases.
- existence; being.
- that which is essential; first or constituent principle; as, the essentials of religion.