Definition and Meanings for finish
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Finish is ranked 3,794 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of finish
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun
Etymology of finish
Meaning of finish
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to arrive at the end of; to bring to an end; to put an end to; to make an end of; to terminate.
- to bestow the last required labor upon; to complete; to bestow the utmost possible labor upon; to perfect; to accomplish; to polish.
as intransitive verb
- to come to an end; to terminate.
- to end; to die.
- that which finishes, puts an end to
- the joiner work and other finer work required for the completion of a building, especially of the interior. see inside finish, and outside finish.
- the labor required to give final completion to any work; hence, minute detail, careful elaboration, or the like.;see finishing coat, under finishing.
- the result of completed labor, as on the surface of an object; manner or style of finishing; as, a rough, dead, or glossy finish given to cloth, stone, metal, etc.
- completion; -- opposed to start, or beginning.