Definition and Meanings for forbear
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Forbear is ranked 43,945 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of forbear
noun, intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, transitive verb
Etymology of forbear
Meaning of forbear
- an ancestor; a forefather; -- usually in the plural.
as intransitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to refrain from proceeding; to pause; to delay.
- to refuse; to decline; to give no heed.
- to control one's self when provoked.
as transitive verb
- to keep away from; to avoid; to abstain from; to give up; as, to forbear the use of a word of doubtful propriety.
- to treat with consideration or indulgence.
- to cease from bearing.