Definition and Meanings for get
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Get is ranked 39 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of get
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of get
Meaning of get
- jet, the mineral.
- fashion; manner; custom.
- artifice; contrivance.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to procure; to obtain; to gain possession of; to acquire; to earn; to obtain as a price or reward; to come by; to win, by almost any means; as, to get favor by kindness; to get wealth by industry and economy; to get land by purchase, etc.
- hence, with have and had, to come into or be in possession of; to have.
- to beget; to procreate; to generate.
- to obtain mental possession of; to learn; to commit to memory; to memorize; as to get a lesson; also with out; as, to get out one's greek lesson.
- to prevail on; to induce; to persuade.
- to procure to be, or to cause to be in any state or condition; -- with a following participle.
- to betake; to remove; -- in a reflexive use.
as intransitive verb
- to make acquisition; to gain; to profit; to receive accessions; to be increased.
- to arrive at, or bring one's self into, a state, condition, or position; to come to be; to become; -- with a following adjective or past participle belonging to the subject of the verb; as, to get sober; to get awake; to get beaten; to get elected.
- offspring; progeny; as, the get of a stallion.
- a divorce granted by a rabbi in accordance with jewish law; also, the document attesting to the divorce.