Definition and Meanings for harbor
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Harbor is ranked 7,283 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of harbor
noun, transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of harbor
Meaning of harbor
- a station for rest and entertainment; a place of security and comfort; a refuge; a shelter.
- specif.: a lodging place; an inn.
- the mansion of a heavenly body.
- a portion of a sea, a lake, or other large body of water, either landlocked or artificially protected so as to be a place of safety for vessels in stormy weather; a port or haven.
- a mixing box for materials.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, noun
- to afford lodging to; to entertain as a guest; to shelter; to receive; to give a refuge to; to indulge or cherish (a thought or feeling, esp. an ill thought); as, to harbor a grudge.
as intransitive verb
- to lodge, or abide for a time; to take shelter, as in a harbor.