Definition and Meanings for honest
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Honest is ranked 2,546 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of honest
adjective, transitive verb
Etymology of honest
Meaning of honest
- decent; honorable; suitable; becoming.
- characterized by integrity or fairness and straightforwardness in conduct, thought, speech, etc.; upright; just; equitable; trustworthy; truthful; sincere; free from fraud, guile, or duplicity; not false; -- said of persons and acts, and of things to which a moral quality is imputed; as, an honest judge or merchant; an honest statement; an honest bargain; an honest business; an honest book; an honest confession.
- open; frank; as, an honest countenance.
- chaste; faithful; virtuous.
as transitive verb, adjective
- to adorn; to grace; to honor; to make becoming, appropriate, or honorable.