Definition and Meanings for hosts
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Hosts is ranked 3,224 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of hosts
noun, transitive verb, intransitive verb
Etymology of hosts
Meaning of hosts
- the consecrated wafer, believed to be the body of christ, which in the mass is offered as a sacrifice; also, the bread before consecration.
- an army; a number of men gathered for war.
- any great number or multitude; a throng.
- one who receives or entertains another, whether gratuitously or for compensation; one from whom another receives food, lodging, or entertainment; a landlord.
- any animal or plant affording lodgment or subsistence to a parasitic or commensal organism. thus a tree is a host of an air plant growing upon it.
as transitive verb
- to give entertainment to.
as intransitive verb
- to lodge at an inn; to take up entertainment.