Definition and Meanings for impression
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Impression is ranked 2,553 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of impression
Etymology of impression
Meaning of impression
- the act of impressing, or the state of being impressed; the communication of a stamp, mold, style, or character, by external force or by influence.
- that which is impressed; stamp; mark; indentation; sensible result of an influence exerted from without.
- that which impresses, or exercises an effect, action, or agency; appearance; phenomenon.
- influence or effect on the senses or the intellect hence, interest, concern.
- an indistinct notion, remembrance, or belief.
- impressiveness; emphasis of delivery.
- the pressure of the type on the paper, or the result of such pressure, as regards its appearance; as, a heavy impression; a clear, or a poor, impression; also, a single copy as the result of printing, or the whole edition printed at a given time; as, a copy from the fifth impression.
- in painting, the first coat of color, as the priming in house painting and the like.
- a print on paper from a wood block, metal plate, or the like.