Definition and Meanings for improve
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Improve is ranked 996 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of improve
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb
Etymology of improve
Meaning of improve
as transitive verb
- to disprove or make void; to refute.
- to disapprove; to find fault with; to reprove; to censure; as, to improve negligence.
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to make better; to increase the value or good qualities of; to ameliorate by care or cultivation; as, to improve land.
- to use or employ to good purpose; to make productive; to turn to profitable account; to utilize; as, to improve one's time; to improve his means.
- to advance or increase by use; to augment or add to; -- said with reference to what is bad.
as intransitive verb
- to grow better; to advance or make progress in what is desirable; to make or show improvement; as, to improve in health.
- to advance or progress in bad qualities; to grow worse.
- to increase; to be enhanced; to rise in value; as, the price of cotton improves.