Definition and Meanings for interchange
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Interchange is ranked 42,959 in the ranking of most used words in English
Part of Speech of interchange
transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun, intransitive verb, noun
Etymology of interchange
Meaning of interchange
as transitive verb, imperfect, past participle, present participle, verbal noun
- to put each in the place of the other; to give and take mutually; to exchange; to reciprocate; as, to interchange places; they interchanged friendly offices and services.
- to cause to follow alternately; to intermingle; to vary; as, to interchange cares with pleasures.
as intransitive verb
- to make an interchange; to alternate.
- the act of mutually changing; the act of mutually giving and receiving; exchange; as, the interchange of civilities between two persons.
- the mutual exchange of commodities between two persons or countries; barter; commerce.
- alternate succession; alternation; a mingling.
- an intersection between highways, having two or more levels and a series of connecting roadways so that traffic on one highway may pass over or under the other highway without crossing through the line of traffic, and vehicles may pass from one highway to the other while traffic on both highways continues uninterrupted. a common interchange is the cloverleaf.