Definition and Meanings for iris
·This dictionary definitions come from open dictionary GNU Collaborative International Dictionary of English.
·The meaning of a word in English varies according to its part of speech , for this reason the different meanings are ordered by their part of speech.
·It is a very easy to use dictionary , very well structured that will allow you to solve all your doubts on any word and you also will deepen the knowledge of the English language.
Part of Speech of iris
Etymology of iris
Meaning of iris
- the goddess of the rainbow, and swift-footed messenger of the gods.
- the rainbow.
- an appearance resembling the rainbow; a prismatic play of colors.
- the contractile membrane perforated by the pupil, and forming the colored portion of the eye. see eye.
- a genus of plants having showy flowers and bulbous or tuberous roots, of which the flower-de-luce (fleur-de-lis), orris, and other species of flag are examples. see illust. of flower-de-luce.
- see fleur-de-lis, 2.
- the inner circle of an oscillated color spot.
- same as iris diaphragm.